Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10691

  • Matt Dillon
  • OFFLINE
  • Lord High Emperor
  • Badger Pride!
  • Posts: 665
Cartoonbeardy wrote:
I have to say that I read your reply Matt with interest, I can see why you like it and that is, of course fair enough. However, the goo was not consistent as you say... Fifield was bloody dead with a face full of melted helmet and subsequent drowning in the black goo river. Holloway was just transforming into god knows what, but it was not the same as Fifields stretchy leg, melty head, spine twisty thing. It was not the same as transforming an earthworm in to bastard space cobra x, with added pointless oral fixation. Saying that the goo, sometimes does one thing, sometimes does another is not consistent. It is exactly what I was getting at with the rest of my problems with the second half of Prometheus, one of consistency, logic and narrative cohesion. Just like the characters from one scene to the next the goo would change its MO to fit the requirements of that scene... Kill a space jockey and create life, fine... Change a worm into a blow job arm breaking killer... Er okay.... Raise people from the dead... Er what?... Or gently and gradually infect a crew member turning him into a alien sperm depositor, then turn him into a melty headed old man.... What the fuck?.... Create life in an infirtile female uterus... Okay you're just making this shit up as you go now...


I want to retract my earlier comment about consistancy, because I didn't explain myself properly, and because I made an assumption which cannot be substantiated. What we actually saw was how the goo affected a variety of life in a variety of forms. Fifield died at the point of infection, Brain death had occurred, but the biological fact is that there is still basic life in a corpse immediately after death - something for the goo to work with, but very basic, primal. Hence we get a twisted, zombie-like creature emerging. Milburn simply died, because he wasn't exposed to the goo (he was choked to death by one of its products). Holloway was directly infected by igestion, and was apparently dying - we don't know. I assumed at the time another zombie creature, but we don't see the process complete, so in fairness I shouldn't draw any direct conclusions. Something was happening, though, hence the eye mutation. Shaw was infected via her reproductive system, which mutated and produced offspring. That offspring grew, impreganted an Engineer, which in turn gave birth to a proto-Alien. In all cases, the goo is adapting to create something new - which is consitancy in a sense - and with some instances having more success than others, but as no two cases of infection were indentical there can be no more consistancy than that. This clearly bothers you, as it's not direct plotting. I like it for its ambiguity, which I believe is deliberate.

Cartoonbeardy wrote:
A lot of the defence of this film gets boiled down to "it has flaws but I don't care because it has big ideas" and while I appreciate the sentiment I'd like to ask one thing. What was the big idea? And really if it's, aliens come to earth and make us, then you have to answer me this. Is that one single big idea that big and original and that awesome, that you truly forgive a film complete narrative breakdown? Because , lets face it has been done in everything from Star Trek (For Whom The Gods Destroy) through to 2001 and Mass Effect and off into literary sf... Hell it's almost the total basis of Scientology. So again, is the big idea, which is wilfully and quickly explained and dispatched in the first five minutes of the film, that utterly mind blowing that the remaining 115 mins of beautifully shot yet fair to middling sf with forgettable, inconsistent characters, lame mysteries, dead end plotting and a finale which in any other film would probably be the middle act, can be forgiven?


The film is about a group of people who follow an ancient star map to a planet they hope will hold the answers to humanity's origins. They find what they find, with no more explanation or exposition than we, as viewers, see for ourselves. They are left to draw their own conclusions and so are we. THAT is the big idea that I love. It's a film, and a story, that I can mull over, dissect and discuss till the end of time. I LOVE that. I love that Ridley Scott has the balls to put it out there, knowing how much shit he'd get for it if people didn't connect with it (which seems to be on a 50/50 success rate amongst my circle of friends currently). You don't see that in the film? That's cool. I do, and I adore the film for it.

Cartoonbeardy wrote:
Facisiciousness aside, the problems with Prometheus don't make it a terrible film, they make it a criminally flawed one. And I am finding it facinating to read the justifications for it getting panned by people who like it. That's not to say that some opinions aren't valid or that no one must like the film, but it does seem to me that rather than actually quantify what is good about the film, beyond the universally agreed touch stones of "it's beautifully shot" and "Michael Fassbender acts his socks off" most fans are going on about why people who don't like Prometheus don't like it as if that's some kind of reverse justification for the film being good. Even Mark Kermode pulled this trick last week on the Five live movie show. "People expect an Alien film", "People saw too much marketing", "People wanted a horror film", "People didn't get the big ideas"... Blah, blah, blah.... I'm sorry but these are all Straw men. Sure some idiots might not believe that it's not an Alien film, etc but for the most part people who don't like the film or have issues with it can be very specific about the reasons why and these issues, as mentioned in my previous post are fundamental film making issues, yet go the other way and you get vagueries like "it has big ideas" "it's Ridley Scott" "I enjoyed it despite its flaws".


That's not fair. I've stated specifics throughout my discussion of the film, and if those weren't adequate I'm hoping the paragraph above makes things clear. And if you're annoyed that generic "people on the internet" are presenting flimsy, ill-conceived and ill-articulated arguements, well... dude, it's the INTERNET. Come ON.

Kermode I can forgive. I'm pretty sure that, like me, Kermode came out of that movie having thoroghly enjoyed it, and KNOWING in his gut that vast swathes of people would hate it and he'd be asked to defend his opinion time after time - which he frequently is, being a professional critic. So that immediately puts you on the defensive, and the observation that most of the audience were expecting (or hoping for) an Alien movie and/or a SciFi horror of that quality... well, sorry, but that's entirely fair. It's not their fault - they were completely led by the oversaturated marketing - but it's true. Just because you weren't, and you are able to articulate fair points as to why you didn't like it, doesn't mean the vast majority of Prometrheus' detractors are in the same boat. And frankly, it's frustrating to be made to feel - as I have been (but NOT, I stress, by you) - that I'm an idiot or an apologist for liking the movie. Something which, by the way, I've been made to feel for years for liking Alien 3.


Cartoonbeardy wrote:
I don't want to make this an us vs them debate but it is interesting to spot none the less... Check every positive review and see where the direction goes and I lay money 90% say, "people will be disappointed because its not Alien" or some variation that takes half the review word count.


Nor do I. And you yourself have made the point about consensus opinion forming when critics leave a press screening and sit at the same pub table discussing the movie afterwards. Ignore the critics. Most of the time I do. Now, moving on...

Cartoonbeardy wrote:
Going back to my issues with Prometheus, Matt hit upon one thing that as an Alien fan I did feel keenly. The fact that the edge of realism from the characters is lacking. As Matt pointed out, in Alien, you get naturalistic speech and conversation that slowly and subtly sets up the characters, their relationships and their personal issues, Aliens did the same with a similar scene in the locker room of the Sulaco. In Prometheus, everyone speaks like theyre the bored night shift bridge crew of USS Voyager... All techno balls and flatly delivered exposition about grandiose themes to no one in particular. When the Prometheus swings about over the valley and Holloway pronounces "god doesn't build in straight lines" the general reaction of all, is like someone watching a mildly encouraging weather report. Not, as you would hope, fear and elation at having discovered a new alien race and possible origins of life on earth.


I agree, this was a flaw. A fairly glaring one. Ideally, it would have been addressed. But again, I was busy concentrating on taking everything in and putting it all together in my head, so it didn't spoil the movie for me.

Cartoonbeardy wrote:
Similarly no one seems to bat an eyelid when David seems to suddenly.... a) know how to read space jockey... b) know how to use goo to open doors, activate holograms. c) risks the life of everyone in the cave by ignoring Shaw to open the face room door.


He's an android who's spent the last umpteen months of Hypersleep time studying every single item of data he had access to specifically for that purpose. It's not a huge leap that he can read Space Jockey, especially as he speaks it at the end of the film. As for opening the doors? He's scanning everything, he's anylsing the goo, and he's an android - he's making logical leaps based on information we, as the viewer, don't have - nor do we need to have, unless you want him rattling off everything the Tricorder's telling him, Star Trek style. He doesn't give a shit what the humans want or think, he's simply carrying out his assigned duty and doing so with an air of scientific curiosity that later androids (both Ash and Bishop) display. As for opening the door... yeah, it was a dick move, but the others don't kick off because, frankly, they've come all that way and they want to see what's inside. WOuldn't you?

Cartoonbeardy wrote:

Moving on from that several other issues I have centre around the Space Jockeys (the interstellar space douches) themselves. After all, why create a race in your own image (yeah identical DNA riiiight, so the human race is all 9ft tall pasty faced and bald...oh..hold on) point them continuously at your "weapons cache" over millennia, then the instant said race actually turns up head off to kill them...it makes no sense. Sure you can attempt to fill in the blanks with answers like..."David said something wrong"... "David should not have been the one to speak to the Jockey, it wanted a human to speak to it to pass the final test"... "the Space Jockey had gone mental"..."it wasn't going to destroy earth"... Or my favourite "there's two types of Space Jockey, humans were made by a rival SJ faction to fight a war"... The point being is we don't know and the info we got in his film was largely circumstantial, we only had David's word on any of this, and once again the whole thing feels like a contrived mystery opener to a HBO miniseries.


Again, this is why I like the movie. It's a chunk of information that we're given to ponder. It's beautiful at the same time, and I loved it. But okay...

Why did the Engineers want to destroy us in general? I don't know. Perhaps (and I know you ranted about this explanation on the podcast, so I'm sorry) they DID create us as weapons. Perhaps we were created as a biological "blank", a herd of template animals designed to be adapted into a variety of bioweapons. Perhaps, then, the discovered that what happens when we're exposed to this goo is pretty frightening, and want to exterminate us to prevent us being turned into something that would/could be used to wipe them out? Or perhaps there WERE rival factions of this species - after all, the ship seen at the begnning of the film is a flying saucer, not a "bone boomerang" like the others. Maybe one faction was developing the black goo to use against the other, and humanity was the bioweapon developed in retalliation, with the star map being a point to the planet that the second faction wanted fucked up? Sure, it seems long winded, but who can debate the logic of an alien species?

The DNA was flagged as a "match", not identical. There are human beings walking around with heart valves transplanted from pigs today, for example. The graphic implies identical, I'll admit, but that's not the word used.

And maybe that lone survivor had gone a bit mental... but maybe it saw the incursion of humanity as a sign that an invasion had begun? ANd once Shaw fucked everything up for it, maybe it was just pissed off!

Cartoonbeardy wrote:

Another story point around the SJs is if they all worshiped at the altar of an Alien, how would they know what one looked like to make a mureal if it only occurred through those one in a trillion odds, with a set of specific moments with a Shaw, Holloway infected shagathon, followed by baby Cthulus infection of a SJ having to happen to get a malformed one?


Don't know. But then, neither do the characters. Again, I like the huge range of answers that this COULD have.

Cartoonbeardy wrote:

Edited to add...
Just thinking about it... What's this a description of...

Ancient civilizations with no known contact are discovered to have all been shaped by a god-like alien race. After humans attempt to discover the connection, they're attacked by alien creatures bred by the 'gods.' In the end, the last of the gods is impregnated by one of their own creatures. The final shot of the movie is an alien bursting from its chest, and just as its second set of jaws is revealed, we cut to black.

Prometheus or Alien Vs Predator....


You're better than this. Stop it.
Matt Dillon
Publisher, GeekPlanetOnline.com
----------------------
2010 Offtopica Inductee
The original Eclecticon
Hairy Gamer 1 of 2 at One More Go
Official Drunken Ambassador of The Babble On Project

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10692

  • Martin
  • OFFLINE
  • Damned Dirty Ape
  • Better the Sea Devil You Know
  • Posts: 750
Matt Dillon wrote:
I think the difference between Lee and I is that whilst I see many of the same flaws, they don't detract from my experience anywhere near as much as they did from his.


I really shouldn't be in this thread as I haven't seen the movie and probably won't until the DVD but I saw this and it sums up an awful lot of my viewing experiences particularly where New Who is concerned.
My dream is to open a pub called The Go Go Gadget Arms

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10694

  • AMO
  • OFFLINE
  • SPECTRE
  • Posts: 136
You know, I was reminded a lot of AvP when I was watching, especially with the whole aged doesn't want to die Weyland thing. Or was that AvP2? They've kind of merged in my mind...
AMO - Where no Mum has gone before!

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10695

  • Cartoonbeardy
  • OFFLINE
  • Fez Monkey
  • Blackdogger, 3D artist and internet curmudgeon
  • Posts: 455
Matt, just to be clear and to not to go through quote replying to quote replies (which gets confusing and more nitpicky on a line by line basis) let me just state that in my previous post I never once impled that any of my issues or in the case of the straw man defence of the film came from anyone here. Nor am I dismissing anyone's feelings about the film, though reading your reply it does seem to me like you're taking this slightly personally, and I apologise if I'm causing that (or misreading the intent of the reply)

The AvP thing was a deliberate dick move though

The point for me with this film is that you can have mystery, you can have ambiguity, you can do epic and you can pull all of that off if you have a clear vision of where the story is going. You can also bring the audience along with you if they are invested in the characters, the situation and the awe that everything should engender.

If the film is aiming for lofty goals then yes, it should be lauded for attempting to put big SF up on the screen. However, if the ideas are muddled, if the motivations are weak or incoherent, if the action on screen is flat and unengaging, if the script is fucking awful, if the mysteries are all effect and no cause, then in my opinion no amount of bong smoking "it's chariots of the gods man, they practically own South America" eulogising and beautiful cinematography is going to save the film from being anything other than an average to mildly mediocre trudge.

As I mentioned on the Black Dog last week, throwing up question after question with seemingly no intention on pulling the trigger on anything is not creating mystery its just the story equivalent of a five year old finding it hilarious to answer everything with "Why?" until the parent loses the will to live. Prometheus just piles one thing on top of another and another until the whole thing is an unwealdy mess. It requires so many leaps in logic, so many big vague spaces for the audience to fill in the gaps with a hundred different theories that even if Prometheus 2 and 3 get made, it will "Do a Lost" and never be able to adequately address any of them. I know that we as SF fans love a bit of "I think this is how this works" or "this is what I think happened" fan fiction fill in action, but for a film that sold itself on asking the big questions, it failed to stick to any one single question and explore it adequately.

I have repeatedly shied away from the ALIEN comparisons but after three epic lengthed posts I think I can do it now and legitimately say that it's an addendum rather than a full blown reason for my disappointment of Prometheus... Because the one thing ALIEN did that Prometheus could have benefited from was a proper handling of mystery, plot progression and as mentioned in the last post characters. Now in ALIEN when we see the Space Jockey, the mystery is handled as just that a mystery, "who is the guy in the chair?" "what happened to the rest of the crew?" "what the hell is this ship? Is it even a ship?" "what are these eggs doing in the ship?" all questions flying through the mind of the audience as you watch the film and barely vocalised by anyone on screen. The script, the direction, the score, the acting all let you make the discovery and internally ask the questions. The answers are essentially unknowable, but that never feels unsatisfying, why? Because the film is pulling you along, letting you see, know and discover everything as the crew do. You are engaged with these characters and you are viewing this weirdness as they do. You never get a single answer to any of the questions you raise, because the progression feels organic, the pace feels correct, the unveiling of everything leads to the facehugger by which point you're more concerned with the events than the mystery.

Yet in Prometheus, the mystery is spelt out in exposition dumps of massive assumptions, the crew just react as a scene demands with little true motivation and the pace is all over the place. Where as the crew of the Nostromo were cautious, careful, in awe and scared of the situation they were utterly unprepared for. The crew of the Prometheus are a bunch of haphazard assholes, blundering down a heap of caves spending little or no time taking in their surroundings and being almost blissfully unaware of everything, despite the fact that they're supposedly the best of the best at what they do. Holloway is the prime culprit of this, but that's excusable to a point as he's an ass hat from the off and an archeologist not Xenobiologist, but the others should know better, should act more realistically. Yet despite finding alien corpses, black goo spilling cylinders, alien murals, biotechnology thousands of years old and still working, no one thinks "hold on let's take this slow" instead its... Oh there's air down here let's take our helmets off everything will be fine...Derp, Derp, Derp . It's lazy writing, it's clunky motivation and it's a desperate bid to get to the action... Hell even the Nostromo crew waited for bloody sunrise.

As for the point about David working out Space Jockey language, we actually see him in the opening montage (loved that by the way) on the Prometheus, slowly learning a language. He's not Mr Data, and let's not forget, there is no implication at all that the SJ left any language at all. In fact the different tribes of earth create pictograms of a SJ pointing at the stars. So there is nothing to go on at all and if the SJs are as unknowable, as god like and generally implaccable as everyone seems to think, then whats to say that there is any relation to an earth language at all!? Again it's plot contrivance, plot convenience, and logic jumping to just assume David is an omnitool to fix everything when the story gets bogged down in a hole it's created for itself. David is a RTD sonic screwdriver in this instance. I agree I'd dislike the script even more if he became Sigourney Weaver in Galaxy Quest, just repeating the computer, but somewhere along the line you have to stop with the "just assume" levels of screenwriting plot holing 101 and y'know try and at least set the groundwork for these things. Especially given that this is the first ever contact with any alien species, you'd think there would be more consideration for what the team had to do and how they would actually do it. Which in turn would give us more grounding of the characters, their place in the mission and how come they do what they do.

You mentioned the whole thing about SJ and their motivations, throwing out a number of theories Ive seen over the Internet in various forms about how the SJs could have waring factions, the human race was a mistake, the human race was an experiment etc etc but at the end of the day, the only fact we know is that the LV-223 SJs were coming back to Earth (to create and then to destroy as David puts it) 2000 years ago. Which roughly speaking puts the human race smack dab in the middle of the Roman empire. Not exactly a threat to the universe at large, if the theory about us being created as weapons is anything to go by. Also regarding the DNA, the computer on the Prometheus and the scottish doctor both explicitly state the DNA is a "100% match" the SJ are us... But if you take that through logically, then all of the opening scene engineers DNA that starts life on earth is us too... So we are a match for everything!?

See the thing is, if Prometheus had stuck to it's big vision guns that was so nicely set up before the ship reaches LV-223 than you had a basis for a superb exploration of big SF themes and also a bleak slap down / exploration on the nature of religion. The SJ in the opening scene could be the Prometheus of the title, discovering the black goo, ritualistically trying it out on himself, creating life which was something that should never happen uncontrolled and in turn humans discovering that there is no god, just a Lovecraftian endless void of callous cruelty and the human race was essentially a mistake. See that was, to a small degree, in the final film but it was so heavily buried under all the other stuff "woo here's another mystery, and another and another and ooooh look an alien snake... You'll never see that again.... Now a mystery involving an old guy and why he is hiding on his own ship...l and now another subplot with a corporate family feud..... And a zombie punk rock parkour monster.... Here's a completely random moment with an alien head.... Here's a c-section.... Here's an android with questionable motivations from moment to moment.... Here's the captain making the awesome leap in logic that the whole place is a weapons dump, when all he's done is sit on his arse, play David Stills' squeeze box and shag Charlize Theron" ultimately the pure message and real big theme gets lost (pardon the pun)

I'm all for having a film that prompts discussion about themes, ideas and drives the audience deeper into its own mythology of their own free will. But for me Prometheus, just muddles along, unsure what is going to be actually relevant, what is going to be set up for a sequel, what is just there to go "ooooh mystery"... Someone on the Chud forum said something I totally agree with and I'm paraphrasing but it goes something like this...

"Sure set up a film for a franchise. No problems there! But don't make the first installment nothing but a big question because you have no idea if there will ever actually be a sequel! A film, regardless of whether it's shooting for a franchise or not, should, for the most part be able to stand alone. Prometheus asks so many questions, gives so little answer and is so vague inbetween that it cannot truly exist as anything other than part of a franchise"

Which goes someway to also explaining (at least to me) why the lame proto alien made its appearance at the end, just to keep fans on point.

In the end, I've seen and enjoyed films which require a little blank filling to properly round out a story and it's characters motivations, Blade Runner is the perfect example of this, but in every case where I have done this blank filling, the groundwork of the story, the universe created for it and the characters that inhabit it are consistent. The leaps of logic / blank filling are easy to do and the conclusions are consistent between random members of the audience, no one comes away completely at odds about how or why something played out the way it did. There may be debates over the minutia of specifiic details and their significance but it's little things not massive gaping holes in plot you could drive the Nostromo and it's refinery through. Yet for me Prometheus has that kind of failing, the is nothing you can cling to to make events from one moment to the next gel properly. I know you've tried to explain the action of the black goo but there's an awful lot of assumptions going on there with nothing to back it up on screen or in the script or in the way it's shot or directed... Especially Fifields mutant zombie, given the missing point that he had the whole of the helmet melted onto his face and no actual way for the goo to get at him.

On a slightly different note, it's worth pointing out that I saw a preview copy of the art of book the other day and there was an alternative design for Fifield that initially made it to the first trailer (gangly legs, extended arms and an Alien-esque face and TMNT shaped head) in the second trailer and subsequent trailers Fifield throwing some schmo against the APC was the actor and half the size of the first reveal, and it leads me to wonder how much of the concept of the goo was actually finalised during filming or made up on the fly. Especially given that in the first couple of pages, the storyboard of the Engineer, dawn of life scene also has an onlooking Inuit taking part in the cup holding pert of the ceremony.

And I'm spent, I could continue on, but frankly I think the points I've raised and issues I have with this film have been laid out pretty thoroughly in the last three posts and everything else is just reemphasising or restating in different phrasing the same old things. In truth, I truly wished I liked Prometheus, I really do. I think it has at its heart a great conceit, it has beautiful production design and art direction (I have no shame or fear of hypocrisy in saying I will be getting the art of book when it comes out as a physical print) the score I thought was evocative and epic, even if it was unsuitable for 90% of the movie it was in and as mentioned Fassbender clearly acted like he was in a far better film. But just as I don't get people watching shit films because they know they're shit, I can't get past fundamental filmmaking flaws on the power of an idea alone. If that were the case then the similarly themed Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier would have got passes from me because of the concept that drive the lacklustre stories along.

And if you liked Prometheus despite the flaws, despite the issues, then hats off to you, for I am truly jealous of you.

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10699

  • Cartoonbeardy
  • OFFLINE
  • Fez Monkey
  • Blackdogger, 3D artist and internet curmudgeon
  • Posts: 455
BTW for what its worth I wholeheartedly agree with this review...

blip.tv/bum-reviews/doug-walker-reviews-prometheus-6195495
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Cartoonbeardy.

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10700

I think Prometheus showed some promise but like many films these days tried to tackle too many themes without ever devoting much time or effort to any of them. In short its a high concept sci-fi movie that comes off as though it were written by a ten year old with attention deficit disorder. When it isn't incoherent it's predictable. It has no legitimate scares. It fails to justify any claims it makes. It starts with one question and leaves you with a hundred more. Action pieces and the advancement of the plot are more important that characterization, leaving characters - especially David - to behave as if on a whim simply because the script warrants it. Dialogue and exposition are forced and awkward, sometimes seeming like an afterthought. At no point was I invested in the film. The opening sequence put me off. It was as if a college professor started class with "Pay attention as this will be on the test" then forgot to actually include the material in the final exam.

There's more in our podcast and on my tumblr page, Where Geek Meets Goth. The latter also has me ranting over Star Trek - again so many of you would be better off skipping it.

I miss O'Bannon.
Where Geek Meets Goth
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by insideoutcast.

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10701

  • Matt Dillon
  • OFFLINE
  • Lord High Emperor
  • Badger Pride!
  • Posts: 665
Lee: My apologies. I guess it came across as taking it personally because in a way I am, although it's nothing to do with you. I hate being made to feel that I need to justify liking a movie that a large group people disliked (as I have for years with Alien 3), and that's what the "consensus opinion" crowd on Prometheus - and I don't really think it IS a consensus, because in my personal circle of friends thus far it's almost precisely 50/50 - is making me feel. I also can't stand bandwagoning with this sort of thing, and just as we did with Spaced's "Babylon 5 is a big pile of shite", Alien 3's "In Space No-One Can Hear You Yawn", and all of that Twishite stuff, we now have a bunch of yahoos on the internet piling scorn on a movie that they can't articulate their problems with, so they just resort to taking the piss (although this is funny). Clearly my frustration with other people on the internet has spilled over into my writing!

But yeah, I don't think we'll ever agree on this! Funny, we still haven't seen anything from Wayne or Byron. Chickenshits.
Matt Dillon
Publisher, GeekPlanetOnline.com
----------------------
2010 Offtopica Inductee
The original Eclecticon
Hairy Gamer 1 of 2 at One More Go
Official Drunken Ambassador of The Babble On Project

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10702

  • Matt Dillon
  • OFFLINE
  • Lord High Emperor
  • Badger Pride!
  • Posts: 665
Dave: Not to leave you out, of course (sorry, Ubuntu was updating)!

To be honest, I figured you wouldn't like it. Just had a gut feeling, the same as I did with Billy and Lee. As I said to Lee, I don't think you and I will ever agree on this movie, and I'm certainly not going to try to change your mind.

As I said before, I think the problem here is that whilst I can see the same flaws that you, Lee, and others are pointing out, they simply don't spoil the movie for me. I certainly didn't get what I was expecting - whatever the hell that was! - but I definitely got what I wanted. In my opinion it was a beautiful, lofty, expansive film which begs further viewing, analysis and discussion (and I keep hoping Wayne will pop in here and back me up!).
Matt Dillon
Publisher, GeekPlanetOnline.com
----------------------
2010 Offtopica Inductee
The original Eclecticon
Hairy Gamer 1 of 2 at One More Go
Official Drunken Ambassador of The Babble On Project

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10705

Matt, you are not the only defender of Prometheus. I know Isaac liked it a lot. I have also been having lengthy discussions with someone on Facebook regarding the film. This was his to see movie of the year so I think he has far more invested in it than I do.

Anyhow, this person is a hardline atheist. He has a podcast that consistently points out the idiocy behind religious faith and the dangers it causes. The irony is that he makes huge leaps of faith when it comes to Prometheus. He claims there are no plot holes. He claims that David's motivations are clear and consistent. He claims that the religious themes are treated well. He has even promised to answer all questions people have on the movie. The only people I thought could correctly answer those questions were people involved in the production.

This isn't to say others who like it leap to the same conclusions, only they have different standards as to what they want out of a film. There are many films I thoroughly enjoy that most people would say were rubbish.

I didn't hate the film. I just thought it could be so much more. I didn't even go in with any real expectations.
Where Geek Meets Goth

Re: Prometheus: Post-Viewing Discussion (SPOILERS!) 1 year, 10 months ago #10706

I enjoyed the Movie. It is flawed. But I enjoyed the Performances (especially Fassbender). I didnt find the same problems with Davids swings in character because It was extremely obvious that Weyland was pulling his strings and he was just following his creators orders.

I will say that i thought Idris was totally wasted in the role as the Captain as he is just brilliant and would watch a complete film of him in that role. And yes there were too many characters which weakened the impact of the scene in which the Mo-hawked geologist Zombie kills most of the crew, but that being said it looked fantastic like all of Ridley's big movies do. I had a feeling going in that it wouldnt be the complete version of the film and the announcement of a directors cut blu ray with an extra 30 minutes of film does not surprise me, i totally understand all of Lee's misgivings about this and about the film as a whole, But the Engineers help me I just loved watching it unfold (even more so the second time).

I have no problem filling in the blanks left by the film with my own ideas, much like I did when I saw Alien for the first time all those years ago. I didn't think it was a bad idea to have the proto-xenomorph at the end. Who is to say that the engineers don't return to LV-243 and either get attacked by it or improve on it and then the cargo in Ship we see on LV-426 isn't the result. Ridley himself was already hinting at a sequel before this was released so I wasn't shocked in the least with the ending we got.

This movie was a big deal for me, and in the end I may not have gotten the amazing piece of Sci Fi that I really really wanted, but Ill tel ye I wasn't as let down by the final result as some folk were.
Time to create page: 1.39 seconds