Username Password: Remember me

Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return

Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 1 year ago #11158

• Drew
  • Hatchling
I know we have been down this road before, but heres an actual news story about a Blake's 7 remake, on the BBC news site and everything

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22079232
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Drew.

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 1 year ago #11159

• Charly
  • Protoform
Dream casting?

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 1 year ago #11160

• Charly
  • Protoform
I always though if they do this, they absolutely have to get the casting of Avon right, and for me that means James Purefoy. After seeing him in Rome as Marc Anthony, he would be perfect. The look the voice, the sneer.

Presumably they will keep the same gender and ethnicity (although there is no reason to - I just hope they dont go the Starbuck route for Avon. I think it need an Alpha male to challange Blakes authority)...

ALso guessing they will keep the original characters in the 7.

I would like to see Gan given a better background than a gentle giant. Make him a psychopath, where you get the feeling he would rather kill his shipmates than serve with them, and that he is prevented by the limiter.

Keep the two girls. Make sure whomever plays Jenna sound like a space pirate. I was never convinced by her acting that her character used to be smuggler. Obviously make CAlly a little bit wierd.

Vila will need to be a good. Someone who is intelligent but feigns his stupidity (most of the time).

Do we need a Servelan? SHe obviously did not come into it until Blake became a military threat to their fleet. And Travis will need to be convincing as an officer, while being able to scream "CRIMMOS" at the top of his voice, and keep a straight face.

I am not sure about the need for non human aliens, perhaps use that as a backdrop for the galactic war later on (if it does not get cancelled). Also the origins of the Liberator may need a thik. Unless the Federation is something that was formed after humans co;onised the galaxy, and the Federation is trying to unify every planet under one banner. Perhaps the System is one of the border worlds that have resisted.

The tone will be important. I would go for a Galactica type grittiness, as the original was quite dark anyway
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Charly.

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 12 months ago #11167

• Charly
  • Protoform
Well, I can see that stimulated a huge amount of interest and debate.

I feel your pain.

Thinking about this more. If it is only set a couple of hundred years in the future, perhaps the series could be confined to the solar system. Perhaps other worlds are colonised and terraformed. Blake is being shipped off to a prison world beyond Pluto. and they come across a damaged alien ship in orbit (perhaps it was a scout which got through the minefield damaged and then fought off whatever ships orbited the prison, but the crew were killed or escaped). At this point as far as we know, humanity has not left the solar system or met aliens, due to our inability to develop a ftl system. And then it can kick off like the original, with the alien invasion plot intact.

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 11 months, 3 weeks ago #11171

All,

I think that if there could be some consistent writing, a lot of good could be done with a remake. I have some worries however.

1. If it's actually to be a US production, I worry that it will be all bang, zoom effects and no story. (I say that as a US citizen and someone who hates most of what Hollywood, etc produces.)
2. I further worry that it could go like the "Walking Dead" series went in my mind: from a cool zombie survival story to a bunch of melodramatic soap opera stuff.
3. That it might be way too Americanized to have a broader appeal worldwide, with lots of US specific symbolism, a "Dukes of Hazzard" in space or something like that.
4. That the moral ambiguity will go away and it will be a simpler good guys vs bad guys kind of thing.

Some positive thoughts:
1. With consistent writing and vision the things that happen might be more believable and... well, consistent.
2. The war with the andromedans could be explored for a whole season or more, with the cast taking a page from Babylon 5 and doing a bit of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of stuff.
3. The Federation civil war could be explored for a whole season or more also, and Commissioner Sleer could be an actual other person who is serving as a front for Servalan (I guess you could fit in whatever scifi element you think best: Sleer could be an android if androids are portrayed as beyond the Avalon level of sophistication, a hologram, a very good plastic surgery disguise, a brain swap into a different body kind of deal, whatever).
4. Blake might actually kill Travis when given the chance instead of being a guy who alternately kills federation guards then spares the life of a federation nutjob who is hell bent on killing him. I guess this is just an example of positive thought #1, but it seemed worthy of special mention.
5. Perhaps rather than having characters spared from death beyond reason, they might keep a bit of a dark and realistic element by letting us lose some more of them. Either that or not have some of the unlikely escapes that they had in the original series (gosh, this gets back to positive point #1 again).

I've gone on long enough.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charly

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 11 months, 2 weeks ago #11172

• Charly
  • Protoform
YAY!

Thanks for your reply.

Who would you like to see in the various roles?

Which roles could go to an American actor, if the baddies have an english accent?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain Fungshway

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 11 months, 2 weeks ago #11173

Gosh, I know so few actors, and can only come up with nightmare cast stuff...
Blake... Scott bakula
Villa.... Andy Dick
Jenna... That hippy mechanic woman from firefly

As far as Brits and a non nightmare cast... I could see the Chris Barrie , that's rimmer from red dwarf, right? As Avon.
Sean bean as Travis...
Robert Carlyle as villa...

That's all I have for now.... Oh yeah, another American that comes to mind for a nightmare Blake...though he must be way too old is David hasslehoff.... Only because he had a giant fro in "revenge of the cheerleaders", a great cheesy pre knight rider film....

That's all I have!

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 11 months, 2 weeks ago #11174

• Charly
  • Protoform
Have you seen Blakes Junction 7? Perhaps that should form a mini review on the podcast.

Martin Freeman made a really convincing Vila, and Johny Vegas made a much more sympathetic Blake.

But by far the best was Mackenzie Crook's Servalan.
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Gillian Coyle. Reason: Deleted your double post for you - Gillian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain Fungshway

Re: Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return 11 months, 1 week ago #11176

• Mark_uk
  • Hatchling
I only hope that its not like the disaster that was the remake of 'Survivors' in 2008..
- an exercise in blandness and political correctness, i thought it was an episode of 'Trisha'
Hmmm...
  • Page:
Moderators: Sloth
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds